Re: Octain (sic) booster [OT lead rant]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Octain (sic) booster [OT lead rant]
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:42:09 -0700
FWIW: I'll add my two cents.  Anybody out there own a Ford
Expidition AND uses leaded gas in their MG?  I should hope not.

While lead could be a problem, it only BECAME a problem because
of the lack of public transportation and SUBURBIA.  When this
nation has people commuting to work by themselves more than fifty
miles a day in gas guzzlers, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE POLLUTION!

I have a sister living in Wisconsin, who puts about 35,000 miles
a year on a fullsize pickup because three or four times a year
she wants to haul a horse trailer.  This probably amounts to only
1000 miles of the 35,000 miles.  The rest of the miles are work
or play miles.  There is no car in the family.  And she is a
sapling hugger.

I live in SD where the next largest town is 200 miles away, and
anything of interest is at least a two hour drive.  SD has no
passenger rail sevice, and bus service is at least 100 miles
away.  You either fly or drive.

Yet I when I was working, and commuting to a town 20 miles away,
I put less than 15,000 miles total on
all of my vehicles by ride sharing and making sure errands were
combined.  AND, none of my vehicles gets less than 25 mpg.

It burns me no end when I see large vans, pickups, SUV's, etc.
running around with only one person in it.  If the vehicle has
more than one occupant, it is usually an older retired couple
(they usally have white cars), or Mom with kids too young to
drive.  And this town is only three miles square.  Talk about
unncessary polution!!!  Enough said.