Re: Car lists

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car lists
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:45:18 -0600
I really think this conversation is a waste of time and band width, but
since it was pointed at me from the start, I will address some points.
First of all, the person objecting could have simply sent the message
direct to me, and kept all the nonsense about it off the list, but since
that isn't how it was done, I'll keep it public here, but it is the last
message I plan to send on the topic publicly.  Since someone asked,
Citroens were produced not only in France, but also in Slough, England
(as well as in several other locations around the world) - while a DS is
not "little", some jag owners also call their cars lbc's - the l meaning
large in this case - the same would fit for the citroen DS although a
2CV would be little, of course.  The land rover is truly little by
SUV/jeep standards and is built in Solihull (sp??), England.  Of course
Jags are made in England.

Now none of those are mgs, that is true, and as to the content of the
original message - it was about MG oil pumps not about citroens, jags,
land rovers, porsches, or hondas.  I am proud of the cars I own - even
my jag which is a total (but rust free) basket case, but that is not why
I list them some of the time.  Generally people with a passion for mgs
also branch out into other cars too (many times English, other times
other sporty cars).  The purpose of the list of cars  would be so that
if someone has a common interest in a particular car, and it is not an
MG, yet they know what kind of information you produce, it could be
beneficial to know who has what - it is not for bragging rights - but to
share information OFF THE LIST.  For example, if someone wants to ask me
how to get more power out of their 5.3 liter injected V-12 jag motor, I
may have some information they could use - and they could contact me
personally about it - then again I may not, and I would be honest and
tell them what I can if I can.  After all, who in their right mind would
list a honda or a kit car for one upmanship??  If I wanted to brag, it
would be about what I've done in the cars, not what cars I own - and you
don't see that here either.

I'd say "get your panties out of a bunch - don't worry about how people
sign their name - and read the mail for content."  Some people put
pretty little text generated pictures or "smilies," or messages from
their internet server - a car list is much more appropriate than any of
those.  I don't know, but maybe this is someone's pet peeve, but it
doesn't have to be broadcast all over the world as some sort of big
deal.

As I said, this is the last publicly shared discussion I will contribute
on the topic, and I'd suggest others do the same.  Further, if a
particular topic or message sender becomes a nuisance to you, most
e-mail programs have filtering systems - USE THEM rather than brow
beating.

Phil Bates - the list of cars I own is contained in the previous
poster's message immediately below - ignore it if you please.