RE: Rear Hub Pull-r?

To: "'Brian Warmuth'" <warmuthb@WLSC.WVNET.EDU>
Subject: RE: Rear Hub Pull-r?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:09:42 -0700
Brian:

        I have pulled off the rear hubs by attaching a large link chain to
opposite lug studs, leaving a loop of about 3 feet.  By swinging a heavy bar
through the loop to pull the chain tight at the end of the blow, the hubs
did come off.  I'm not recomending this technique, but it did work the one
time I did not have the factory tool.

        The factory tool is a heavy round plate that has a threaded center
drive screw.  The plate has a pair of holes that line up with the lug studs.
special adapters with a head on one end, and a socket that fits the lug stud
on the other fit into the holes.  The adapters are threaded onto the lug
studs, and the drive screw engages the center of the axle.  Turn the screw,
the adapters pull on the studs, and off comes the hub.  Normally it does not
take a whole lot of force.

        You could duplicate the arrangement by purchasing, or renting a
heavy duty two armed puller.  The type used for pulling US crank pulleys.
You would need to make up the adapters by perhaps welding lug nuts to the
bottom of a couple of supplied puller bolts.  I did something similar to
this, as I only have the MGA threaded adapters.  I made additional adapters
for pulling MGB hubs by welding MGA lug studs to the top of MGB lugnuts.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Kelvin.