Re: 3-story tall filing cabinet with graphic LCD placards housing 1974 M

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3-story tall filing cabinet with graphic LCD placards housing 1974 MG Midget!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:40:44 -0700
Geoffrey Gallaway had this to say:

>No, that url's text makes no sense..

Sure it does -- just add "http://"; to the front of it.

<http://www.eio.com/public/lcd.1999/0388.html> worked for me.

By the way, I have heard of this art project. The LCD screens are
apparently a new embellishment. They may help make a little more sense
out of what was almost purely conceptual (whether you think any of it
makes any sense is up to you).

This project consists of what it says -- a three-story tall filing
cabinet. In the file drawers are the remnants of a shredded 1974 Midget.
The pieces are sorted and filed by weight. Apparently the LCD screens are
intended to be attached to the fronts of the drawers to show pictures of
the pieces, which will flash by in 1/3 second, controlled by computer.

I don't know if the artist deliberately chose a Midget for personal or
symbolic reasons, or it was just an old wreck handy to be shredded. Maybe
it was his driver and Lucas let him down one too many times.

Curiously, I know of one other piece of "small roadster art". In San
Francisco on 3rd Street across from Moscone Center there is a multistory
parking garage. On the outside of the top floor is the body of a Fiat 850
Spider, cut into even size squares, and laid out flat against the
vertical surface of the building, looking like a cut-out paper model
waiting to be folded.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149