My First Autocross (and the B's too)

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: My First Autocross (and the B's too)
From: "danray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:54:45 -0400
Just thought I'd share that I just got back home from my first ever
autocross.
What a blast! My B has been suffering from leaky rear main seal/slippery
clutch syndrome for a long time now, but everything else is strong so I went
for it.
Actually a co-worker is the Ft. Knox sponsor and convinced me I should do
it, since although my car isn't competitive (by a long shot), it looks COOL,
and he's trying to get more military guys involved (KY SCCA runs at Ft. Knox
on the airfield sometimes, like today).
Mine was the only MG there in a sea of Miatas and RX-7s, etc. One other
modified Sprite, so only 2 LBCs out of at least 75 cars. In fact, Punkin and
a '66 Cobra were the only stock 'classics' there (if you can call that Cobra
monster 'stock').
I improved every run, until on the 5th it rained, and I spun out but didn't
DNF! Funny thing...after the 2nd heat, and the Novice points adjustment
(happy warm and fuzzy stuff, ha!), I was in 10th place. hoho. Didn't hit a
single cone, not even when I spun.
Hopefully it was good advertising to have the little orange MGB out there,
and the post newspaper is doing an article this week. I wouldn't say I'm
'hooked', since I have all these great Kentucky back roads...but the guy
with the modified Sprite said he'd sell it to me for $3500 for it! Ahh...for
some disposable income and a garage...
Life is good, and I'm headed to the beach for vaction this week!

Dan
73 B