Re: Greasing steering rack

To: Jack Baker <jbaker1@home.net>
Subject: Re: Greasing steering rack
From: "John H. Reynolds" <johnr@mail.nwmissouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:08:00 -0500
Jack,

The steering rack on your MGB does NOT take grease!  It is filled with oil
and the leak is more than likely one of the boots (gaiters) leaking.  When
you replace BOTH of these, make sure to get the good (read expensive -- as
there is a cheaper version that won't last long) ones from Moss Motors --
this is not a job you want to do again in 12 months.  The rack is filled
from the top of the box that where the rack and pinion meet.  I believe I
have read someone on here or the MGCars BBS mention different tricks for
filling these, but as I haven't done mine yet, I'll let the experts chime
in!

John Reynolds
1979 MGB (in restoration)