RE: wierdest starting problem. help!

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>,
Subject: RE: wierdest starting problem. help!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:03:22 -0700
I'm glad you got to the bottom of this (finally!). A DPO bodge -- the
obvious culprit, I suppose. As for the fuel pump, hmmm, that raises a
sticky philosophical issue... do you replace apparently functional older
components for "peace of mind", or do you wait for failure (with the
possibility of being stranded)? Obviously, there is a distinction between
safety-related components and mere running gear -- one would surely
replace a balding tire before it blew out, but would one replace an "old"
coil that still seemed to be working? Of course, to some extent all parts
are potentially safety-related -- for example, if you broke down in a bad
neighborhood or when fleeing a hurricane area.

I'm sorry, this rambling is probably not too helpful... you had better go
with what makes you feel comfortable. AFAIK the fuel pump, while
sometimes remarkably long-lived, might just up and quit at any moment --
and might as easily be persuaded back into operation with a hammer tap.

Good luck!
Max

Garner, Joseph P. had this to say:

--