Re: Ideal MGB Year?

To: <SRegel@dpra.com> (Scott Regel), <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ideal MGB Year?
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 09:34:37 -0500
At 10:37 AM -0400 6/2/00, Scott Regel wrote:
>I prefer the 63 B.  I had two of them and they were simple and a pleasure to
>drive.  With no modifications I had the second one up to 98 mph and it still
>wanted to keep going.  Unfortunately the road I was on ended in a small town
>with a right turn.  It was easy to work on and I used it as a daily driver.
>Never had to do much to it.  The only negative was the lack of overdrive!  I
>think I tuned the engine and carbs once in two years.  I have the 76 B now
>and what a difference.  The 76 B is much slower and higher.  Although it does
>have OD and a few other "modern" amenities.  I definitely think the 63 B was
>the best.  I want another one...but I would keep the 76 B....but would trade
>both for an "A"!
>
>Scott
>76 B

>In a message dated 6/01/00 11:25:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu writes:
>
>>  Actually, though, and i know this is hereasy to most people's ears, but i
>>   like the look of the rubber bumber cars far better.
>
>Hey what's not to like? Slower, more ungainly, jacked up compromised
>suspension - I guess some people can overlook all that if they happen to
>prefer the esthetics of the rubber bumper look ;-)
>
>My preference would be for the last of the 3 synch cars with the large
>layshaft - 1967, or the first all synch cars, before they buggered up the
>poor things with smog gear - 1968/9.
>
>Of course being at heart an MGA man, I have a striong liking for 3 main
>bearing cars - the 63 is in some ways more attractive.
>
>But then the only one I currently own is also the only one with balls - a
>1969 MGC. Maybe that's why I have no time for the late cars - I insist that
>my cars have some performance along with whatever looks they were born with.
>
>Bill

Of the Bs I have owned I most miss my first MG, a 63. It had a 16row
oil cooler, chrome wire wheels with alloy rims and was Iris Blue. I
sold it in 1972 because the tin worm had been quite active. Except
for my A (modified with B drive train including overdrive) it was my
favorite MG ever, and I regret that I was not wise enough to know
what I had. Live and learn
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/