Re: Was-Squeak at downshift-Now-Eric the Brake & Crunch!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was-Squeak at downshift-Now-Eric the Brake & Crunch!
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:19:06 +0000
Scotty wrote:

> I just never have been financial enough to 'smimp' on a gear box, >

I wish I could 'smimp' for a living... but it doesn't pay enough for me
to afford racing my little car :-)

> However I stand by the theory, that, on the road,  showing the brake
> lights to warn following drivers of your intentions to slow down,
> makes sense as a defensive driving technique.

Yeah... OK.  The 'never give a sucker an even brake' thing doesn't
always work on the roads (although it can be fun to watch the panic in
their eyes in your rearview mirror :-)

I remember during my driving test (yes, I *do* have a long memory) when
I accidently selected 2nd gear instead of fourth and just about send us
both through the windscreen.  My instructor then told me it was polite
and safer to show your brakelights when stopping, as if this was my
intention all along :-)  See, I remember it well... I just never heeded
his advice.

Eric
'68MGB MkII