Rear Hub Removal

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub Removal
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 07:57:38 -0500
I think I remember some discussion on rear hub removal a little while ago.
I removed the rear hubs from a 74 Midget steel wheel rear end last night,
and it was easier than I anticipated.  I figured I'd pass on how I
accomplished the task, maybe helping someone else complete the job.

The hardest part was getting the hub nuts off.  I tried various wrenches,
and ended up going to Sears and buying a 1 7/8 socket.  Once I got the
socket it was pretty easy.  I used a 3 foot cheater bar on my breaker bar to
get the nuts loose.  Once the nuts were off I needed to figure a way to get
the hubs off.  I don't have a slide hammer so I needed to improvise.  I
found a large bolt with a larger washer that I put in the end of the axle
housing.  I then used my gear puller to ease the hub off.  I applied
pressure on the hub with the puller, then tapped it with a hammer and it
started to move.  I repeated this procedure until the hub reached the
washer.  I then removed the puller, bolt and washer and used a large
screwdriver between the hub and the axle housing to get the hub off the rest
of the way.  I used a wrench on the screwdriver with a twisting motion to
work the hub off.

The whole job only took about a half hour.  The biggest safety hazard was
the gear puller almost dropped on my toe as the hub slid off.  Overall it
was a pretty easy job that I won't hesitate to tackle again.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ken Waringa
71 TR6 (on the road and smooth)
74 Midget (Son's daily driver)
79 MGB (son's current project)