Re: Ouch!!! (floor pan replacement)

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Ouch!!! (floor pan replacement)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:24:27 +0100
Floor pans have got to be about the simplest panel job on the B - fit and
finish is less of an issue than an external panel - and that estimate seems
very high.  Even if the junction of the floorpan and adjacent panel is
corroded the floorpan comes with considerable extensions around the edges.
If not, you just cut the old panel out leaving a flange all the way round
the hole, trim the floorpanel to fit and drop it in.  Have you thought about
hire of equipment and the fun of DIY?  You will have to take care of any
underseal around the hole, of course, and the cables and pipes that run
between front and rear.

A couple of tips:

Measure the position of the front seat mounting holes and weld nuts in
before welding in the floor - they are hidden by the front cross-member.  It
is possible to install them afterwards but it is a bit of a fiddle.

When you weld don't do so by progressing around the join - you will end up
with a big bulge left over because of heat distortion.  Weld short sections
on opposite sides then gradually fill in the gaps.

PaulH.