U-joint removal question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: U-joint removal question
From: "Keith Gernert" <kgernert@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:59:50 -0400
Well, after discovering my front U-joint was completely shot in one of its
spindles, I
thought this was a job I could tackle myself.  Ha!  I spent much of the day
Saturday
just trying to get the thing out of the front flange.  Then, I got to the rear
U-joint.
After much frustration just trying to get the clips out, I found something
interesting.

On the driveshaft yoke, the holes containing the U-joint appear to be
out-of-round.
The socket I used on the front end of the driveshaft, which was just the right
size to fit
in the hole, will not fit in the holes on the rear yoke.  Looking at them
closely, it
appears that the holes are slightly oval.

My question:  At this point, should I just take the whole mess (plus the new
joints) to
a shop and have them finish the job?

I'm leaning that way, after all the trouble I had with the front U-joint.  I
called a whole
bunch of rental shops trying to find the U-joint tool someone once mentioned
here on
the list, to no avail.  (I would not have imagined it would have been that rare
a tool.)
For the cost of buying that tool, I should be able to have  someone else get
all
frustrated with it instead of me.  My only concern would be that they'd put the
thing
together wrong--but I could clearly mark all the ends, and which way the new U-
joints fit, since they have the grease fittings.

  Keith G.