welding aluminum

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: welding aluminum
From: MalcolmJeffcock <jeffcock@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:27:11 -0300
Listers:
        I stopped in at a small car show yesterday and there was a booth set up
with a guy demonstrating "welding" aluminum with a propane torch and rods that
were like brazing rods but white. The method was developed by yet another "US
Army Engineer" but to be honest while I approached thinking it was a scam I was
impressed. Demonstration "welded holes in an aluminum pipe, had samples with an
oil cooler as well as what looked like some small engine sump. I inspected them
and they looked good and the strength of the weld was demontrated by him
hitting it a number of times with the material in the pipe eventually snapping
out of the pipe rather than the weld braking.

        Any one else seen this demo? Is it a scam...ie the best type the type
that fools you or is it a worthwhile addition to the garage?

                        Malcolm in Nova Scotia