Re: Gear Reduction starters: Help!?

To: "Andrew D. Zimmerman" <a.d.zimmerman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Reduction starters: Help!?
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:23:24 +0100
There is no thin brown wire *from* the ignition switch to the solenoid, but
there is a brown wire from the solenoid *to* the switch.  That wire (and any
other brown wire in that vicinity) should be connected to the same point as
the thick battery cable.  Having said that the original configuration is
that the brown wires on the solenoid were bolted to the big stud and had
bolt-tags to suit.  It is quite possible that modern vehicles have the brown
wires connected to spade terminals which are *electrically* the same
connection as the heavy battery cable, not having any modern vehicles I
wouldn't know, but in any case if your brown wires have bolt-tags than it is
obviously easier to connect them to the same place as the heavy battery
cable.

A 72 should indeed have a white/brown from the stater relay and this should
go to the 'operate' terminal of the solenoid.  Cars earlier than 1970 may
have a white/red direct from the ignition switch to operate the starter.
Cars of 75 and later also need a white/light-green connected to the solenoid
to provide boost voltage to the 6v coil during cranking, and on factory
starters this is usually from a smaller spade than the solenoid operate
spade.

To summarise, any brown wire at the solenoid should be electrically
connected to the heavy battery cable.  Remove both brown and brown/white
wires from the solenoid, connect the battery, and assuming the starter now
isn't churning connect each wire in turn to see which one does cause the
solenoid to operate and the starter to churn.

PaulH.