DPO and front susp, also a kingpin ???

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DPO and front susp, also a kingpin ???
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 20:26:39 -0400
I disassembled the passenger side front suspension on my '71 B earlier in
the week, and remarked about the numerous DPO botches (including non-proper
strength grade bolts, home-made bushings and lack of use of split pins on
the nuts). Nothing too serious, and the replacement the offending bushings
and bolts should do the trick. Took the driver's side apart today, and the
botches on this side are definitely worse. Along with screw-ups similar to
the other side, the DPO did not bother to fit rubber seals, thrust washers
or seal supports to the lower trunion, allowing all the grease to ooze out.
Now I have a badly ovaled trunion opening, meaning a new kingpin for this
side (this is getting expensive). There is no play in the kingpin, just the
ovaled trunion opening. As with the passenger side, the lever shock on this
side had absolutely no action (as expected). Also, one of the A-arms was
badly twisted (new ones already on the way for both sides due to a
previously noted welding botch by the DPO). Now the question. What is the
best replacement option for this kingpin assembly? I remember hearing
recently on the list that unless you have the kingpin reamer, you are pretty
much stuck buying a new swivel axle with all the bushes already pressed in,
etc. Is this true? If you do not have to buy the whole swivel axle, how
difficult is the kingpin replacement? TIA.

Craig
'71 B