Chrome bumper conversion questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Chrome bumper conversion questions...
From: Willum <wdlewis@wf.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:39:05 -0500

frank.walker@insurquote.com wrote (in another thread):

> well as long as people are taking free things. I would like to offer a set
> of front and rear rubber bumpers in good condition. free to any one who
> will pick them up. they are in really good shape but I am doing a chrome
> bumper conversion while I have the car striped for painting. they are in
> Provo Ut. if no one wants then they will go into the dumpster.

I've been doing the chrome bumper conversion for about a year now in my
head!  I think I'll go ahead and take the plunge and do it for real.
After looking through many archives and going through the UK web site
that 'details' the conversion, I still have many questions...

1.  The UK web site mentions that threaded holes are on the RB frame
rails, just further back than on a chrome model.  My US spec. 77B does
not have these holes as far as I can see.  There are two threaded holes
on the BOTTOM of the rails just forward of the oil cooler mount/shelve.
Is there other bits of sheet metal or brackets/gussets that are hiding
these holes?  I ask because, it seems to me that it would be easier to
make custom brackets than to cut up the frame.

2.  Say I do weld in captive nuts per the UK web site.  Does anyone have
DETAILS on how this is done?  Does one cut out a retangular section out
of the sides of the frame rails, and then weld in a new plate with
captive nuts?  Or I'm I way off base here?

3.  Has anyone made their own brackets for the rear bumper?  This looks
like a fairly easy operation to do.

4.  Can the rear wing 'rounded corner' section be found as a body part
spare stateside?  I have yet to see one in any of the larger catalogs
(Moss, VB, Proper MG, etc.)

5.  Any other advice or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill Lewis
Wichita Falls, TX