Re: Rover woes (TR aside)

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rover woes (TR aside)
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:37:40 +0100
I recall that, on its launch, most of the motoring press disliked the TR7
because of those baroque swage lines down the side. They specifically had a
go at the coupe because of the rear 1/4 treatment, with those grilles and
strange roof angles. One magazine (Custom Car) took a very unflattering pic
and captioned it, 'The Ass-end of Mann'.

However, Harris Mann's 'wedge' look was very 1980s and was also seen on
Lotus, and TVR products. There was one Toyota (Celica, I think), which also
followed this design trend.

I had a TR7 Coupe, which had its good and bad points. It looked far faster
than it went and when I put in a 150bhp, 16v Sprint engine and 5-speed, it
went fast but couldn't stop. It also couldn't stop rotting.

Dave H.

> Uh-huh, and look at the original Mazda RX7 -- from the waist down it's a
> wedge nearly identical to the TR7 (hmmm, suspicious coincidence) without
> the 'swoosh', but its clean fastback roofline made it a totally
> different-looking car that received praise for its styling, instead of
> jeers.
>
> Kristian Chronister had this to say:
>
> >Exactly. Everyone talks about the "wedge" and trashes the design in the
same
> >breath. I truly don't feel it's the wedge shape that is aesthetically
> >"yucky" about the TR-7, but the coupe roofline and above-the-door
treatment
> >in general. Definitely agree the roadster is vastly prettier (but I'd say
> >that about almost any roadster vs. coupe: MGA, XKE by way of example...
now