Why do Valves like Marvel Mystery Oil so much?

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Why do Valves like Marvel Mystery Oil so much?
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:23:24 EDT
I'm in the process of breaking-in a partially rebuilt XPAG engine. It has new
pistons and rings, new stellite valves, hardened valve seats, (in fact every
moving part on the head was replaced or refurbished). I'm up to 700 miles on
the break-in. I've changed the oil several times along the way. If I don't
add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the crank case, the valves sound angry and one
of the exhaust ones will stick. With the MMO, the valves sound happy and no
sticking. The valve guides are cast iron (not bronze) and the head was
rebuilt by a reputable professional, so it's unlikely the clearances are out
of spec (but I suppose anything is possible).

In any case, why does the MMO help so much? Is it possible that the new valve
stem seals are sealing too well and starving the stems for oil? I guess I'm
assuming the MMO penetrates better than the regular oil, and can get past the
seals. (BTW: I've met many 'T series owners who absolutely swear by MMO.)

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336