ahhhhg!

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ahhhhg!
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:01:41 -0700
Hi everyone,

So if you remember, motor dies on me on the freeway. Pull over. Starts once
dies immediately. Won't start. towed home. Pull the fuel line. no fuel
pumping. aha! fuel pump problem. Check the power supply. about 8V getting to
the pump. A little low, but i figure with all the attempting to start the
car that makes sense. Tow the car to the shop. Leave it with them. They ring
me back, apparently the car has started perfectly and they can't find
anything wrong with it.

If it was a non-fatal intermittent fault, i would drive it until it broke
again, and re-diagnose (just like in 2001). But that clearly isn't an option
with the fuel pump. My friendly mechnic in Palo Alto, suggested that i
change the fuel pump becuase it "looked rather old" last time he worked on
the car. I was thinking of getting the shop here to replace the pump, and
blow the fuel line through. Any other things to try? Do you guys think this
is a sensible course of action?

thanks in advance

cheers

Joe.