Re: scratches on crank - oh no!

To: "simon hurley" <simonsensis@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: scratches on crank - oh no!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:40:47 -0700
Simon,
I would agree with Stuart. And definitely, do not reassemble your engine
with scratches or scoring on the crank bearing surfaces. If one assumes
the purpose of rebuilding is to result in a reliable engine with a
reasonably long life expectancy and no known weaknesses or endemic
problems (and what else would it be?), then you have got to take care of
obvious issues on mission-critical components (at the very least). You'd
be pretty disappointed (understatement) to put it all back together and
have 20lbs oil pressure, or be burning oil through the rings.

Just curious, what prompted you to tear it down in the first place?

Stuart MacMillan had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149