Re: removing distributor - how?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, "simon hurley" <simonsensis@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: removing distributor - how?
From: David Tulchinsky <tulch@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:21:03 -0400
>Good afternoon oh knowledgable ones
>
>I give up, how do I get the distributor out?  Everything but the dist'r and
>the camshaft is off or out of the engine.  The cam shaft is loose.  But how
>do I det the distributor off so I can remove the camshaft.
>
>Thank you again for your sage advice.
>
>simon

As I recall, getting the distributor out is relatively easy.

There is a clamp bolt underneath, and once undone it just
slides, twists, works its way out.

Now come the fun part.

The next part to come out is the distributor drive spindle & housing.
The housing is held on by two bolts, and (mine at least was frozen in).
A little WD-40 or other penatrating oil on the edge/around the housing
and a few days of waiting, and it just slid right out.  The housing that is.
Now the drive spindle can be removed by inserting a head bolt (I think the
thread is 3/8-16 ) into the hole, locking the threads an slowly twisting
the driving gear out.

So now you think you can remove the camshaft.  NOT.  Now the
oil pump driving gear needs to be removed.  Pull the sump, remove
the oil pump, etc.

Now you can remove the cam.

There is probably more to it.

-Dave