RE: Negative A-arms

To: "'John J. Black'" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Subject: RE: Negative A-arms
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:13:44 -0700
John:

        I have the 2" lowered spring in the front of my race car.  The
camber is so screwed up now that the question is academic.

        The negative camber a-arms are designed to go in stock geometry
cars.  I have a nasty feeling that many are going into lowered cars, where
the owner's do not understand the geometry questions.

        It's another of those "Performance" issues, where many folks don't
look at how the vehicle performs as a whole for the intended function.

        I'm going to get my car to the ride height I need, then look at the
camber to figure out where it needs to be.  Once that is figured, then I'll
modify the arms to suit.  I've been wandering around with ill matched bits
for too long, now I'm trying to keep it simple and right.

        The other day, I got a question forwarded to me from a sales rep.
"Is there any downside to installing the lightened aluminium flywheel in an
MGB?".  It's questions like these that cause me nightmares.  There seem to
be a lot of folks bolting bits together, without a clear idea of what they
are trying to achieve.

        I really hate to have people come up to me and say. "You know you
were right, that 285 duration cam doesn't work very well on the street".

        Since we are on beefs.  I followed a bunch of MGs down the freeway
the other day.  MGAs, Midgets and Bs.  You know they all looked beautyful.
Like rolling sculptures.  It's a pity that they were only driving at 50 mph,
with the drivers hunched down.  With the skinny tires, stiff suspensions and
bouncing wheels they looked like antiques, completely out of place on the
freeway.  Luckily I know better, after daily commuting at 70+ mph in a B.
It is sights like this that may give the non-initiated the idea that our
cars are unsafe and at some time should be banned from the roads.  I worry
about pretty cars, that don't seem to handle, or drive well.

Kelvin.