HELP--Pilot bushing PITA!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP--Pilot bushing PITA!!
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:18:43 -0700
This past week I have been experiencing major headaches in finding the
correct pilot bushing for my '65 B.  The original engine is, of course,
a 5-main, and the original crank has two concentric pilot bearings
installed to accommodate the small input shaft the early gearboxes have.

Now I am installing a later year ('68) engine I rebuilt (the crank pilot
bushing holes are identical), and I cannot get the second smaller
bushing from any of the suppliers!  I have ordered all three bearings
that are listed in the Moss catalog, and none are correct.

I have purchased a bushing that will fit from a local bearing supplier,
but the larger bushing will have to be reamed a bit to allow it to fit.
Before I head off to the machine shop, has anyone else run into this
problem?

I can't believe there isn't an easier solution to this, it seems to me
that all the '65 to '67 5 main engines would use the same pilot bearing
configuration!

TIA!
--
Stuart MacMillan