generators and pos ground

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: generators and pos ground
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:35:15 -0600 (MDT)
Last night, we took my gf's newly acquired bugeye out for a drive.  Long
story short we did about 45 miles driving with the headlights on, and upon
returning home we stopped car and later tried to restart it and the
battery was completely dead.  How does one go about testing a generator
and what quantity of juice should it be producing. I know on a B you want
to see about 14.5 volts on a well charging car, but how about on a bugeye
with a generator?

This brings me to question #2, how does one jump start a pos ground car
with a neg one.  I left the B turned off knowing that I would be ok there,
since that would have the same effect as connecting the battery in || with
the one already in the car, but can it be done with the neg ground car
running?  I think this would be a good thing for her to know in case this
ever happens again.

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT ever so slowly turning into a V8
'63 Buick 215

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari