brake light problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake light problem
From: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@tn.freei.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 23:21:30 -0400
Hello again,
The brake lights on my 74 b won't work. Here's what I've found thus far:
The taillamps will come on when the headlights are on.
The drivers side blinker will work, but the passenger side backup light
blinks along with it. In fact, this backup light comes on when the
headlights are flipped on.
The passenger blinker won't flash, but the light will come on.
I ran a continuity test on the brake light switch and it is working. I've
cleaned the connectors at the switch and the connections on the fuse block
with no change.
Part of my problem is the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual. Nothing looks
wrong in reality, but I'm used to reading a wiring diagram with the
complexity of a tube radio at best, and they are simple compared to the car.
Do you know of anywhere on the net where trouble like this is explained
better for a newbie like me? Until this and a few other small problems are
fixed, I don't want to drive the car.
Thanks,
-Bill