Back on the Road!

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Back on the Road!
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:34:45 EDT
Yesterday, August 5 at about 3:00PM CDT, my '79 Midget, the Growler, growled
again.

The engine rebuild I started on last November the day after Thanksgiving is
finally done. I have finally been able to see something other than 99354 on
the odometer! The project did adhere to the traditional time estimation
formula of take your best estimate of the time needed for the job, double it.
And add another month.

My original (according to the Heritage certificate) engine now has 40 over
Hepolite flat top pistons, a 1300 Spitfire camshaft and cam bearings (1500
engines do not have cam bearings and the cam runs in the block), full crank
thrust washers (the rear main cap was machined to take a modified MGB thrust
washer located with a tab in addition to the standard half thrust washer in
the block), the head ports touched up, ARP studs. The whole process was a
great educational process for me. It's my first engine rebuild and I was
happy with the arrangement I made with Tom Josefek of British Motor Classics
in Glendale Hts., Illinois to do the disassembly and reassembly work myself
under his tutelage. Over the winter I also rebuilt my gearbox (main problem
area was a fading 2nd synchro) with the same kind of assistance from my
fellow Bomber Brother Bill Hedrick.

Both engine and gearbox seem to be doing fine. What a thrill it was to hear
the engine fire again. And even more so after the 20 minute/2500rpm ring
break-in, head retorque, and valve clearance reset to back the car out of the
shop and actually drive it out for a road test.

I got home from the shop about 15 minutes after the start time for the
Chicagoland MG club Lucas Night Rally last night so we missed out on running
the rally. But we did go out for a nice evening ride to meet up at the end
point restaurant.

Happy to be a Midget DRIVER again,

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA