Re: rear axle leak

To: "Bill Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>, "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>,
Subject: Re: rear axle leak
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:39:02 -0500
Nope, sorry Bill, scratch that thought (but y'all welcome to visit my site
any time).  The late model MGB rear axle is much different in the area of
the hub seal.  The MGA and early MGB seal rotates with the hub and seals on
the stationary axle housing (and you have to remove the bearing from the
hub to replace the seal).  The Late MGB seal is statonary and seals on a
collar that rotates with the axle shaft, and I have no idea how much work
it is to replace this seal (not BTDT).

The biggest problem with the earlier seal design is that it allows oil to
puddle in the rotating hub, and the oil level in the hub submerges part of
the seal mating surface.  The rotating wheel bearing mills around in the
oil puddle agitating it and forcing it past the seal if the seal is not
absolutely perfect. If this seal has even the tiniest leak it can dump
quite a bit of oil into the brake drum after a hard turn fills up the hub.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and inferior hub seal design)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

similar.  Go to http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/rearaxle/ra1.htm
later style MGB rear axle.