Re: OD in 3rd gear?

To: "Scott Regel" <SRegel@dpra.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD in 3rd gear?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:41:18 -0700
There are two types of OD fitted to MGBs. One allows operation in 3rd and
4th; the other in 4th only. It seems you have the second type. But you
can easily find out by just trying it in 3rd.

Where it does operate in 3rd gear, the ratio is in the middle beween 3rd
and 4th, giving you a "3rd-and-a-half" gear, which sometimes comes in
handy.

As to the other question, I would never engage overdrive when climbing a
hill at that low a speed. One would only be turning around 2500rpm, and
the OD would drop it down below 2000 -- way out of the power band for
hill climbing. Think of OD as a 5th gear -- you switch it on when you are
going to be cruising at freeway speeds (60+) for a reasonable time
period. Don't know why it didn't respond in your case, unless the pump
wasn't turning fast enough to generate sufficient pressure at that low
speed.

Scott Regel had this to say:

--

Max Heim