Sumps again

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sumps again
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:47:00 +1000
Urgh,

Weird problem. I have a 1600 Mk1 block. This sump, the sump thats always
been with the motor as long as I've had it, does not fit over the oil pump
strainer and the sump does not lay flat on the block. In fact there is a
good mm or two clearance in the centre part of the sump. No wonder it always
leaked oil. I am not sure if this is due to a sump being in a bad state or
some other reason...

Looking in the Moss catalog there are two types of strainers (and oil
pumps), a flat based one, and a round style like on the MGB. Which should I
have on my motor? Should the strainer touch the bottom of the sump? I should
think not - ? On the bottom of my sump is a pattern left by the strainer
cover and a round circle - quite a score mark - from the small round metal
disc on the top of the strainer. The old strainer was really messed up. I
can see why now!

Soo what do I do, do I have to find another Mk1 sump or is my problem in the
type of strainer/oil pump I'm using?!? Not to mention the sump gasket in the
gasket set is so way off it's not funny, had to cut it out and enlarge the
holes. geez.

Cheers,
Neil
--