Re: Valve cover to tight?

To: "Enrique Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve cover to tight?
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:16:08 +0100
If you mean the rocker cover on top of the engine and not the tappet chest
covers on the side, then the former has a rubber doughnut under each cup
washer.  It is these that supply the pressure on the gasket and form the
seal - the fixing nuts just tighten down onto a shoulder on the stud and you
can't really overtighten.  The rubber doughnuts go hard over time, as does
the cork gasket, so if you disturb them it leaks afterwards.  New cork
gaskets *should* be OK, but it seems they aren't as thick as they used to be
so they can leak from the start.  Changing the rubber doughnuts is the thing
to do, but even then, and with another new gasket, I still had a small leak
from the rear.  I needed to use a couple of cardboard washers as 'shims' on
top of the doughnuts to stop my leak.  Been OK since, even after removing
and replacing the cover with the same doughnuts and gasket after several
thousand miles.

PaulH.