Re: rubber bumper GT's

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rubber bumper GT's
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:41:29 -0700
Never heard this one... I must say the part about the carburetors seems
extremely unlikely -- I can't imagine they re-engineered the entire
intake system to save the weight of about half of an SU...

In thinking about it, I don't see how the weight of a car has any bearing
on a dyno test, either. My understanding is that the carb switch was in
order to meet smog restrictions, directly, by providing an automatic
choke and/or other features, not by weight-saving. And I have heard the
"TR7" story before, although the timing seems a little off. Judging from
the sales figures for 1971-73, one would say the GT was dropped in NA
because of declining sales -- except that sales shot back up for the 1974
model year. Perhaps the decision had already been made at that time --
but then why bother creating and importing the much-modified 74 1/2
model? Interesting...

Emjaxfl@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim