Re: My 80 B possibly totalled ins. Qs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My 80 B possibly totalled ins. Qs
From: "David Lynes" <cdlynes@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:21:12 EDT
OUCH!

Chris, sorry to hear of any LBC accident.  But don't give up too soon!

>From a former independent adjuster (not for State Farm) and the son of a
long time State Farm Agent (deceased) I may have some pointers for you to
consider...

I can almost guarantee they will consider it a total.

They will over estimate the repairs, then they will low ball the ACV (actual
cash value of the car as it stood before the accident) and then to top it
off, they will over estimate the salvage value so it will cost you to get it
back.

A problem you have is that both cars had State Farm.  First of all, it
happened today, right?  Are you feeling alright? If you have any hurts or
pains, you should go to the doctor today.  You may not feel pain until you
try to get out of bed tonight.  Not to tell you to fake injury, which you
should absolutely not. But they use different adjusters for injury claims
than they do for just the property damage. And if the injury adjuster fears
an escalation of injuries (he did come into your lane without warning, and
then he hit you a second time) they might be a little more lenient on the
property damage.

Second, do you know your agent personally?  An insurance agent is
historically YOUR agent, not State Farm's agent. His first duty should be to
represent you.  The claims people are much further down the pecking order
than the agents, (the agent's who's name is on the door) and if he can be
made to see your predicament, and can be on your side, he will be a good
ally.  Talk to him/her as soon as you can, and before the adjuster contacts
you about any numbers. Explain your fears and concerns, and he might be able
to help.

Get control of your car, if you don't already have it at home, get it
somewhere you control.  Tow yards charge daily storage, and SF will be
motivated to get it out of a tow yard and into their salvage handler, who
does not charge them storage, but will eventually auction the car for SF
once they pay you for it. Find out who State Farm uses for their salvage. I
may be able to tell you if you let me know where you are. It will be helpful
to talk to them to see how much wrecked sports cars have sold for in the
past few months.  Not just MGs but Tr***phs, any other European type
convertible to help you reduce SF's salvage figure.

Then, try to document any and all improvements you have made to the car.
Keep these to yourself at first, because you may just accomplish increasing
the salvage value before the adjuster has come up with a figure.

Get someone you trust to appraise the damage. Find an independent appraiser
that doesn't owe SF to do an appraisal for you, written and documented. Give
him a copy of the pertinent pages of the Moss Catalog for parts prices, or
he will not be able to estimate it.  You could do this yourself, but it
carries more weight when you have a professional do it.

The key is to get the best possible figure for your car, with the least
possible salvage value. Do not accept a percentage reduction (20-25%)for
salvage value.  From the damage you describe, I would not hesitate keeping
the car and fixing it, but be prepared for State Farm not to cooperate with
you.

Good luck, and let me know if I can assist any further.

David Lynes, Woodstock, GA
73 Midget
78 MGB