Peco Exhaust Question (MGB)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Peco Exhaust Question (MGB)
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 25 Aug 00 13:30:46 EDT
Bringing back a topic from a few weeks ago, I'm installing a PECO exhaust.
 Any tips on how to do it?

I remember reading a suggestion to take it to a pro and throw out the
middle pipes provided -- but I don't really trust any of the local shops.
 (I spent last night fixing some of their attempts -- broken welds,
exhaust hanging really, really low...)

So, here's the current status:
the exhaust is hanging close to the body, fitting the recesses like it's
supposed to.  Up through the middle hanger, everything's cool.  Past that,
it gets messy.  The middle pipe of the three-part PECO exhaust ends just
in front of the shock mounting bolt (tube shocks), which is too far out.
The rear piece/muffler fouls the bolt.  Also, the whole thing is a bit too
long, still (I've cut almost 18" off so far, but the muffler barely fits
inside the bodywork and the tip protrudes about a foot.

So, my current problems are:
1. fouling the shock bolt
2. excess length

Any suggestions?  I need to replace the sagging rear springs at some
point, but that's a big discussion in its own right.

thanks for your suggestions,
Matt