Brake system problems, Please Help

To: "MG Mail list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake system problems, Please Help
From: "Donald Markham" <donaldmarkham@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:45:57 -0500
I have a problem that I hope you can help me solve or at least point me in
the right direction, I have just replaced the master cylinder, both front
calipers and both rear wheel cylinders with NEW not rebuilt parts due to
what I think was the DPO using DOT 3 brake fluid instead of DOT 4. The
previous owner replaced all of the rubber hoses with the SS Braided lines
from Moss in addition to all of the metal brake tubes, front pads, rear
shoes & rear wheel cylinders last fall just before I purchased the car.
After replacing the items mentioned and bleeding the brakes, I have decent
but not great brakes, the pedal travel is about 1/2 of the total travel not
the 1"-2" the I would expect and most troubling is it takes quite a bit of
pressure on the pedal to actually stops the car quickly. Is it possible that
the braided hoses are bad as well? or does anyone have another suggestion on
what to check? By the way,  the car in question is a 72 BGT. I would think
with basically every item in the brake system being less than one year old,
it would be easy to get great brakes, but that has not been the case so far.
any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don Markham