Updating my 1980 MGB LE to tour the US

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Updating my 1980 MGB LE to tour the US
From: "tom_winslow" <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:05:59 -0400
Since returning from the Roadster Factory Summer Party, I  have decided that
I need to make some updates to my 1980 MGB LE. It performed so well on the
1000 round trip that I will probably use it to tour the US once I retire.

I am looking for the following items and advice from other MGB owners and I
hope that some one can please help.

1. I need to locate a OD Tranny. Overdrive is sorely needed in this car
especially for long trips. Does any lister have once for sale or can you
point me in the right direction?

2. Cruise control. Is there a good cruise control out there that I can
install on this 'B'? What are others using?

3. Auxiliary cooling. What are others using for auxiliary cooling. Running
the AC in summer can cause the heat to get too close to the hot side for my
comfort.

4. Tires. I want to replace the tires with five (5) of the best tires that I
can get for the MGB. What brand and size are most folks using?

5. Radio. I still have the original factory AM-FM in the LE. I would like a
better radio fro trips. The original looks and works good but it is analog,
has no presets, and poor sound quality. What is a good replacement unit for
this model of MGB?

6. Carbs. My LE still has the original single carb setup. I need to switch
to dual carbs and still be able to pass emissions. This one will be tough.
Any good info on the web at some of the MGB sites? I need an expert to
advise me on this one.

I know this sounds like a laundry list but I am fairly new to the MG and
would like the benefit of the list experience. I paid through the noise to
get a really nice MGB and I want to make it even nicer and hopefully keep it
until I croak. I tell my children that it will be sold in my estate sale.

Thanks in advance for help from the list.

Tom Winslow
tom_winslow@msn.com

1980 MGB LE * 1966 Triumph TR4A IRS