RE: Cam tuning

To: "'Johnmowog@aol.com'" <Johnmowog@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Cam tuning
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:31:16 -0700
John makes some very good points.

        It is extremely important when planning modifications to understand
how the car as a system works.  It is also very important not to kid
yourself, if you really want performance increases.  The other side of the
coin is that one modifies for personal enjoyment, and who can tell what
bizarre aspirations may lay in the hearts of the owner.

Example 1.  High lift long duration "go fast" cam in a street car.  Sitting
at a stop light, the engine lopes, shaking the car giving the impression
that there is a caged animal under the hood.  The owner smiles at Mr. Normal
sitting in his Chevy Stationwagon in the next lane.

        The light turns green.  With a roar of intake noise, our valiant
owner stomps on the gas and dumps the clutch.  The engine immediately bogs.
Raw fuel dribbles into the cylinders as the mixture velocity in the oversize
intake tract slows to a crawl.  Fuel falls out of atomization and washes the
oil off the cylinder walls.  In a screech of tortured piston rings and a
belch of hydrocarbon smoke the valiant engine labors to launch the car from
the intersection with the help of the flywheel, which being aluminium isn't
helping much.  Slowly the tach needle climbs to 4,000 rpm.  Suddenly in a
rush huge gobs of power push the driver back into the seat.  This is it!
The sports car life.  7,000 rpm and the exhaust is screaming setting off
burglar alarms along the road. Speed shift into second.  Suddenly the rush
slows down again as the big gap in the gearing drops the engine off the peak
torque range.  With teeth clenched the foot is again dropped and the engine
climbs into power again.  The surge of power, smell of unburnt fuel and
raucous intake noise bring the dreams of Fangio alive.

        Meanwhile the tail lights of Mr. Normal's Chevy fade into the
distance.

Repeat ad infinitem.  The factory built a very nice tractable car.  To
improve overall performance plan on spending lots of money and taking lots
of time.

  Technology, quality and material improvements are the only places to look
for real performance increases without major drawbacks.

Kelvin.