Re: bolts for suspension

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bolts for suspension
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
They should be fine as long as the old bolts were
grade 5 or less and everything is remaining stock.
I've used grade 5 for years on modified off-road Jeep
suspensions without a problem.

I only use grade 8 if I'm replacing grade 8, for
several reasons, and I only buy grade 8 from a real
fastener dealer. My understanding is grade 8 has a
stronger tensile strength but less sheer strength than
5. Grade 8 can be counterfeit and 5 isn't. The main
reason is availability and cost savings; I can stock
virtually every grade 5 fastener I'll ever use in my
garage and have it before the need arises. If I need
an odd-ball size I can get one at Menard's which is
six blocks away or at Quality Farm and Fleet I can buy
grade 5 by the pound. They are cheap enough that I
don't have to mess with grade 2 or butter bolts. I
occasionally use AN grade 7 mil spec/aircraft alloy
because I have a bunch of it, it's tough and light
weight, but I just use it for non-critical stuff.

I figure, hey, what d'ya got to loose? A wheel?...
Don't worry, it makes a lot of sparks, so everyone
knows to get out of the way! hohoho

jon

--- Kevin D Richards <flybirds@erols.com> wrote:
> Listers,
> I am starting the rebuild of my chassis for my MGA.
> I have found "grade
> 5" fine thread bolts at home depot. Are these strong
> enough for the job?
> any help is appreciated.
>
> thanks
> kevin Richards

=====
This is my list only e-mail address and it may not be
checked regularly. For personal messages, please try
jonp@altavista.net which is normally checked Mon-Fri.