Re: MGA Steering shaft felt bushing

To: Robert Arndt or Tricia Blossom <rcateb@mc.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Steering shaft felt bushing
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 00:45:32 -0500
At 07:16 PM 9/6/2000 -0500, Robert Arndt or Tricia Blossom wrote:

>MGA '60=How do you replace the upper steering felt bushing and shaft in
the outer tube? I have soaked the felt in oil and graphite and even mashed
the felt in the vice hoping to compact it to allow the steering shaft to
slide thru and into the tube.  No go and my patience is thin, much thinner
than the damn felt bushing!. ....

Been having the same problem with these too thick replacement felt pieces
for at least 15 years now.  Do not despair.  Tack one end down on a wood
base with a staple or a couple of carpet tecks.  Use a wire wheel with an
electric drill to buff the felt gently in a direction away from the tacks
to remove some of the material and thin the strip.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and new steering column bushings every 10 years)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg