Re: Craziness...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Craziness...
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:43:14 EDT
In a message dated 07/09/00 3:02:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I was thinking about performance and was wondering what would happen if
>  I put in a huge V-8 engine in to a MG? I talked to my shop teacher and
>  said that the frame is too weak and if I properly modify the engine it
>  has it will beat most of the cars on the street. I would also have to
>  worry about brakes and other stuff? Tell me what you think about this.

Oh Gawd, this again.
First, the MGB doesn't have a separate frame - it is unibody. It can be made
strong enough for much more than stock power, although the inner rockers MUST
be perfect, being structural members. I suppose if you must butcher an MG,
the largely unloved rubber bumper B is a good choice, but you wouldn't end up
with a well balanced car in the end, and you'd spend more than the cost of
just buying something quicker.

You would indeed have to consider brake upgrades if you were going to race
the car, but not necessarily for the street.

And your teacher is wrong - a modified MGB will not even keep up with half of
the modern stuff on the street. A moderately hot but streetable car will get
blown away by Dodge Neons, and Honda Civics all day long, as well as being
outhandled by them.

If you must do such things, the old stand-by, the Rover engine has weight but
not much else going for it. They are usually expensive, fairly small
displacement (unless you go for more modern versions a la TVR, in which case
they are _very_ expensive), and as large as a small block Chev.

Personally, the Ford is not a bad choice, but if you are really thinking of
doing such a thing, my suggestion is first, at least triple what you think it
will cost and then decide if you can afford it. Second, think a little
outside the box and look at alternatives like the Northstar, or even a V6 (my
Fiero mill would make a fine MG engine, even in an MGA, without cutting
things up). And stay the hell away from MGAs with your torch, or we A owners
will black-ball you. Possibly using said torch!

Bill