Re: The sounds you hear with the top up

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The sounds you hear with the top up
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
> some kind of noise coming from the
> back end that only occurs when I'm lightly
> feathering the throttle.  It's not there
> under decent acceleration, or when I'm completely
> off the throttle.  Just when I'm
> trundling along barely on the throttle to keep speed
> on a flat road.

It's probably just worn gears and bearings. They can
make noise under light load for years and years, or...
blow up. It wouldn't hurt to pull the cover and try to
wiggle and jiggle everything. The spider gears (pinion
gears) in the carrier can get loose and I guess if the
main bearings were real real loose, the whole carrier
might get sloppy. If it were bad enough where you
could wiggle the carrier by hand, I would be very
surprised that it didn't already break. Any wiggling
you can feel by hand is too much. You might also
notice an unusual wear pattern on the ring gear, which
means you probably need a new R&P before the teeth
start breaking.

jon

=====
This is my list only e-mail address and it may not be
checked regularly. For personal messages, please try
jonp@altavista.net which is normally checked Mon-Fri.