Stumped Re: Engine...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stumped Re: Engine...
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
I am stumped as to which engine my car has/should
have. Here are the relevant facts:

Chassis # - GHN3L49843, built 26-27 October 1964
Engine # (orig) - 18G-U-H/1815 (per BMIHT certificate)
Engine # (actual) - 18G-U-H/7468

According to Clasauger, the switch to the 5-main
engine occurred in October 64, effective with chassis
# 48767 (chart, page 60) - which means my car should
have had a 5-main engine, with the GA prefix... BTW,
my engine does NOT have the pipe that runs from the
valve cover to the front carb - which to me indicates
that it is NOT an "18G" engine! The questions, then:

1) GA, GB etc. engines should start with the preifx
GA, GB, etc., right?

2) Was my original/is my current engine a 3-main
engine? I am assuming it is, since there is only the
"G"...

3) How can I tell, short of opening it up (which I
will be doing this winter...)?

4) Should I care? (Other than from an originality
perspective)

Now I'm wondering about the transmission - it should
be the 3-synchro, and appears to be the same shape
from underneath, but I guess I may not know until the
car is running! TIA...

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ
76 MGB Tourer Driver - Brooklands Green
66 Pull-handle MGB Tourer Project - faded Tartan Red
NAMGBR #5-2328

http://im.yahoo.com/