Bug eye generator

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bug eye generator
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:17:45 -0400
I need a quickie piece of advice or commentary.

I fried my 59 bugeye generator. Machining the commutator and some
spare parts will put it back on the road.

But as I was planning the reassembly, I noticed there is no
passageway or hole between the brass spring loaded grease tube and
inside of the rear shaft bushing. Blowing and sucking, I can see
small bubbles forming on the inside of the bushing. I presume
maybe this is an Oilite bushing and the grease kinda seeps thru to
shaft.

Is this good enough to keep the shaft/bushing lubricated. A friend
with 3000 miles on a new Mk II generator (oil hole model) says his
rear shaft is already wobbling.

Would drilling a small supply hole help? Maybe removing the spring
loaded grease system (as in the manual) and just oiling it every
500 miles is a better way. I read somewhere that new Oilite
bushings need to be soaked in hot oil before use, maybe no harm in
re-treating the existing one? Or am I getting too
finicky/paranoiac?

Mike L
'60A,67E,59Bug