Re: Clutch Swing - Rocks

To: <DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Swing - Rocks
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:40:58 -0700
1. Does the clutch function at all? You didn't make that clear...
2... because if it's just the pedal feeling loose, you may have just
broken the return spring (under the dash, near the top of the pedal arm),
an easy fix.
3. If the fluid is gone, you have a leak ("duh!" you say <g>). That could
be one (or more) of only three things -- the master cylinder, the slave
cylinder, and the flex hose. Since you describe the car as a beater,
don't be surprised if it's all three of them. Might as well just go ahead
and get rebuild kits, or rebuilt units, and a new hose. If the failure is
due to the wrong kind of fluid being used (a common problem) you
definitely need to replace all three, so why take a chance?
4. It is extremely unlikely there is anything wrong with the clutch
itself, if that makes you feel any better <g>.

Good luck!

DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim