Re: Transmission noisy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

To: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission noisy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:54:30 -0500
At 12:19 AM 9/28/2000 -0400, Jerry Erbesfield wrote:
>.... let the trans fluid in my 73 B get too low. Now it is very noisy in
1st, second and third gear, .... Whining, maybe even somewhat grinding
sound. ....

Badly worn layshaft allows the gear teeth to be misaligned so it whines in
the lower gears.  Quiet in 4th geat because it's direct drive down the
length of the mainshaft with no torque going through the laygear.  Whining
is misaligned or worn gear teeth.  Ticking noise is broken gear teeth.
Hissing in neutral with clutch engaged is the input bearing.  Grinding
noise under load is bearings, usually on the layshaft.

So you need to yank the tranny and tear into it.  Repairing what you have
is generally the cheapest way out, unles you just happen to find a good
used gearbox really cheap.  Getting the thing out of the car and back in
again is 90% of the work.  The actual disassembly and reassembly of the
gearbox is easy going, and even a little fun.  When I have the right parts
in hand I can do a complete overhaul on my 3-syncro MGA gearbox in under
two hours.  The 4-syncro MGB box is not much different.  One of your
biggest time problems may be waiting for the parts to arive when you order
them.

FWIW, the Chicagoland MG Club is having a MG Gearbox tech day at my place
in Naperville, Illinois on October 7th.  We will be tearing into two MGA
1500 gearboxes, one MGB 3-syncro box, possibly a MG Midget box, and
probably a MGB 4-syncro box (so far no overdrive).  Meanwhile, go here and
do a little review:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/gearbox/gt1.htm

Regards,

BArney Gaylord