Re: Shipping A Tranny

To: "MG Listserver" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shipping A Tranny
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 18:41:00 -0700
Wrap it up good in plastic and seal it with tape so it doesn't ooze oil
everywhere and destroy the box (or get confiscated as a toxic pollution
source). If you wrap it you can use the expanding foam for packing. A
cardboard box would probably need some kind of reinforcement, otherwise.
Appliance boxes usually have triple-thick corner pieces and double
bottoms, sometimes with a wood frame. The tranny is a long, awkward shape
with all the weight at one end. You don't want the shipper to be able to
wreck the box by picking it up at the wrong end, or stacking it. It might
just be easier to use a ton of the large bubblewrap and no box, if the
shipper will accept it. That way they know what they're grabbing.

FYI: I haven't shipped a tranny but I did ship an OD -- kind of a
miniature version <g>.
FWIW, YMMV...

Chris Attias had this to say:

--