OD transmissions on ZA MG

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD transmissions on ZA MG
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 15:36:20 -0700
Readers:

While looking for the MGB power curve for Bob, I found a repinted article in a
Brooklands Book.  The article dealt with the H.R.G.-Derrington cylinder head on
the Magnette.  What was more interesting to me was the overdrive the Magnette
had.

This article was printed in "The Motor" of January 1958, an English
publication.  It states that the 1954 ZA Magnette was equipped "with a
Laycock-de Normanville overdrive added."  The standard ratio was 4.874/1 without
the OD and 3.68/1 with.

I repeat the article is from 1958 which is FOUR years before the MGB came out
and according to the early tests, the OD wasn't available as an option on the
MGB.  This car would have had a 1500cc B series engine fitted.  Now, what I want
to know is where did this overdrive come from, what transmision was in the car,
and how was the OD fitted?

Does this car still exist?

Blake