Re: Sugar in the gas tank.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sugar in the gas tank.
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:03:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/00 11:51:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stanley_brohn@hotmail.com writes:

<< The real problems comes if some one put
 the sugar in the engine's crankcase. Then the sugar will turn to whatever
 and can go as far as causing the engine to freeze up. Most of the time it
 doesn't cause real damage but does require the engine to be torn complete
 down and in some cases chemically dipped to clean. Of course if it was a lot
 of sugar in the tank it would exceed the cleaning effect of the gas and just
 be carried thru to the carbs. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - -

When you heat sugar it caramelizes, it turns into a sticky rock, basically.
I have done this on occasion on camping trips, cooking sugary substances in
Dutch ovens.  (MMM-MMM-GOOD!)  Cleaning caramelized sugar out of a cast iron
Dutch oven sometimes requires a chisel and a BFH.  (Don't ask me how I know!)

I wouldn't want to put sugar anywhere near a place in a car or tranny that it
would get above 150 degrees F.  You would have a hard time getting it clean.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport