Re: OBERG TILT LIFT?

To: ct@cthompson.com
Subject: Re: OBERG TILT LIFT?
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:44:04 -0500

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:44:16 -0400 Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
writes:
> Anyone used the Oberg Tilt-Lift device that moss sells? They claim
> that you
> can pull an engine by yourself with one. Anything that makes it
> easier for
> me to pull the engine (Which I dont plan to do alone) is a good
> thing.

I don't know how you would get an engine out of some cars without a tilt
device.  I've never done a 'B, but the Midget motor in particular has to
stand on its tail to get it out with the tranny.  I've only pulled the
MGA engine sans tranny, but even then the tilt device I used was a
lifesaver.

The Oberg device is quite expensive, but it looks like it is easy to
tilt.  For a less expensive solution try this one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5402

It requires a good amount of cranking to move the lift center, but it
works pretty well.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD