Re: MGA Tranny

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Tranny
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 16:54:20 -0500
At 12:53 PM 10/22/2000 -0600, Dave Quirt wrote:
>Barney:
>
>Here it is. It belongs to my Twin-Cam YD3/1437. Other than the
>bellhousing, it is 99.99% the same as the 1600 gearbox.

For the curious, I have posted Daves picture here:
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/gearbox/twincam_gbx_side.jpg

With the reinforcing rib on the bottom of the rear housing it looks like a
1600-MK-II gearbox, where they added some ribs for strengthening to take a
little more torque.  So maybe this was done earlier for the Twin Cam, and
the tail housing casting later adopted for the MK=II.  Also the two large
holes on the lower right of the main housing were drilled, tapped and
plugged for the 1500, but never drilled for the MK-II units.  I dunno
exactly where the changeover point was though.  And the MK-II unit I have
has a pair of projections on the right side that could have been tapped as
mounting points for a side shifter mechanism.  Otherwise, this looks like a
direct bolt in for the 1600 with the high starter loaction.

I understand the two-hole boss on top of the bellhousing being for the
clutch slave on the Magnette, but what the heck is the purpose of the large
square bump on the back of the bellhousing?  And how many splines on the
input shaft?  My guess is 1-inch 10-spline.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg