Master Cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Master Cylinder
From: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@newsguy.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
Dear List,

      Shortly after I bought my 1974 MGB-GT, I knew the brakes needed
attention. I installed
 a new master cylinder and rebuilt the rear brake wheel cylinders. Bleeding
all four wheels
 went fine. The brakes were fine.

                       (2 years later)

      The other day, while putting on new hubs and wire wheels, I noticed
the driver's side
 rear brakes looked very rusty. On closer inspection I noticed the brake
line supplying
that wheel had about a 3/4" flattened spot in it as if it had been hit with
a hammer (right
where it runs  along the axle). I thought that would explain it. Good Ol'
George Merryweather
(sensing I was in trouble) sent me a brand -spankin' new brake line. I
installed the brake
line and proceed to the bleeding process. The guy pumped the brake pedal, I
opened the bleed
nipple....nothing. I moved to the other rear wheel and loosened that
nipple....nothing.

      At this point, we decided to try the front brakes. They bled. We then
moved to the flexible
hose at the rear of the car that supplies the rear brakes. Loosened the
fitting in front of
the flexible hose. No pressure, no fluid. Moved further forward to the
coupling.... nothing.
Skipped the pressure failure switch and moved to the rear part of the master
cylinder....nothing.
What's going on here???
Tom Buchanan
tom@tombuchanan.net